- 1 cup molasses
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup white raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
716 calories; 24 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 120 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 73 grams sugars; 9 grams protein; 102 milligrams cholesterol; 860 milligrams sodium
Six to eight servings
- Combine the molasses, sugar and butter. Add the eggs, ginger root, spices and salt.
- Sift the flour with the baking soda three times. Add to the butter mixture a little at a time, alternating with the hot water. Stir in the raisins and nuts.
- Put the mixture into a well- greased mold with a capacity of five to six cups. Put the mold into a cast- iron Dutch oven with the lid on and cook over hot coals for about 20 minutes. Put hot coals from the fire on top of the lid and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Unmold the cake on a rack and let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- If using a regular oven, bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.
1 hour 15 minutes