This is a typical Provençal salad. In France beets are sold already cooked, either roasted in wood ovens or steamed.
- 4 large or 6 medium beets, roasted
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 4 anchovy fillets, soaked in milk or water for 15 minutes, drained, rinsed and dried on paper towels
- 1 to 2 small or medium garlic cloves (to taste), peeled, green shoot removed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
271 calories; 16 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 24 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 3 milligrams cholesterol; 396 milligrams sodium
: 4 to 6 servings
- Peel the beets and dice, slice or cut in wedges. Combine with the chickpeas and parsley in a large salad bowl.
- Mash together the anchovy fillets and the garlic in a mortar and pestle until they have been reduced to a paste. Add the vinegar and lemon juice and mix together well with the pestle or with a fork. Work in the olive oil. Season with pepper. Toss with the beets and serve.
- Advance preparation: This will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator