- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 6 ounces dark semisweet chocolate, preferably imported
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup rum
- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (10 servings)
264 calories; 17 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 24 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 22 grams sugars; 1 gram protein; 60 milligrams cholesterol; 18 milligrams sodium
About 10 servings
- Mix the ginger with one tablespoon of the sugar and set aside. Let stand for 30 minutes or longer.
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan with the butter and rum over very low heat. Blend thoroughly. Add the ginger mixture and stir.
- Put the egg whites in a mixing bowl and reserve until ready to use. Place the yolks in another bowl and place over simmering water. Add six tablespoons of sugar and beat vigorously with a whisk until pale yellow. Add the vanilla and continue to whisk until well blended. Add this to the chocolate mixture and blend well.
- Beat the egg whites with the remaining three tablespoons of sugar until stiff. Fold this mixture into the chocolate mixture. Beat the cream until stiff and fold this in. Scrape the mixture into a serving bowl and refrigerate. Chill.