- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 small plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 scant tablespoon coriander seeds, lightly crushed in a mortar
- ½ teaspoon salt, if desired
- 1 ½ pounds fresh okra
- ½ to 1 cup water
- Juice of half a lemon
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
206 calories; 14 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 19 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 309 milligrams sodium
- Over medium low heat, gently saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are transparent and just starting to color. Add tomatoes and crushed coriander seeds, and cook 5 minutes, until tomatoes have given off their liquid. Add salt if desired.
- Trim the stems from the okra, and add to tomato-onion mixture. Mix well and add water. Start with 1/2 cup; more can be added as necessary.
- Turn heat down to low. Cover okra, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the okra is tender. Stir occasionally, and add more water if the vegetables start to stick.
- Just before serving, add the lemon juice, mixing well.