- 1 ½ pounds ground lamb
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup dry red wine or dry vermouth
- ½ cup water
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in purée (or substitute a 28-ounce can of plum tomatoes, including liquid, combined with a 6-ounce can of tomato paste)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup pitted, chopped kalamata olives
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
778 calories; 54 grams fat; 23 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 22 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 30 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 13 grams sugars; 39 grams protein; 196 milligrams cholesterol; 1247 milligrams sodium
- In a large bowl, blend the first 9 ingredients for the meatballs. Moisten your palms with water, and shape the mixture into meatballs about 1 inch in diameter.
- In a 4-quart or larger pressure cooker, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onions and green pepper, and cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits sticking to the bottom of the cooker. Boil until the wine is reduced by half, about 1 minute. Stir in the water, and add the meatballs in one or two layers. Pour the tomatoes over the meatballs. (Do not stir.) Sprinkle on the garlic powder.
- Lock the lid in place. Over high heat, bring to high pressure. Reduce the heat just enough to maintain high pressure, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Quick-release the pressure by setting the cooker under cold running water. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow the steam to escape.
- Split a meatball in half to check for doneness. If necessary, cover the cooker, and simmer until done.
- Gently stir in the olives, feta, parsley, crushed red pepper, oregano, cinnamon and a tablespoon of olive oil, if needed, to give the sauce a rich finish. Simmer a few minutes. Season to taste with sugar, salt and pepper (go easy on the salt, as the olives and feta have plenty). Serve in shallow bowls, garnished with feta.