The bartender Ivy Mix’s inspiration for this drink began with an appreciation for Greenflash’s very hoppy West Coast IPA, and a wish to round out its character with softer flavors. A calming, floral chamomile syrup and the mild amaro Cardamaro serve that purpose, while the barrel-aged Spring 44 Old Tom Gin adds structure and a different edge to match that of the beer. The hops and tannins notwithstanding, this is a drink with an appealingly citrusy, floral personality.
- 1 ½ ounces Spring 44 Old Tom Gin
- ¾ ounce fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wheel for garnish
- ½ ounce chamomile syrup (see note)
- ½ ounce Cardamaro
- 3 ounces West Coast Green Flash I.P.A.
- In a cocktail shaker three-quarters filled with ice, combine all ingredients except the beer and lemon wheel. Shake until chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain into a pilsner glass filled with ice. Top with beer. Stir briefly with a bar spoon to integrate ingredients. Garnish with lemon wheel.
- To make chamomile syrup, make a strong chamomile tea, using 2 to 3 tea bags to 1 pint hot water. Let steep for 20 minutes, or until strong. Remove tea bags. Warm 1 cup sugar in 1/2 cup tea in a saucepan over low heat until dissolved. Cool to room temperature before using. (There will be extra syrup; refrigerate if not using immediately.)