Tomato salads are the ultimate summertime food. Ripe and sweet, tomatoes need little more than a good vinaigrette dressing. This salad has a niçoise bent, with anchovy toast and black olives.
For the vinaigrette:
- 1large shallot, finely diced
- 2small garlic cloves, minced
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the anchovy toasts:
- 1small garlic clove
- 3 or 4anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 12baguette slices, toasted
For the salad:
- 3pounds ripe summer tomatoes of different colors and shapes, sliced
- Ground black pepper
- Handful of black olives, niçoise or other
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
231 calories; 14 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 21 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 1 milligram cholesterol; 259 milligrams sodium
- Make the vinaigrette: Put the shallot and garlic in a small bowl. Add red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper and macerate 5 minutes. Whisk in the olive oil and set aside.
- Make the anchovy toasts: Pound garlic to a paste with a little salt, then mash anchovy fillets into the paste. Stir in olive oil. Paint toasts lightly with anchovy mixture and set aside.
- Arrange tomatoes on a platter or in a low wide bowl. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Scatter olives over tomatoes. Whisk vinaigrette and spoon evenly over tomatoes. Garnish with basil leaves and anchovy toast.