The first recipe I turned to was the Tahini Kale Slaw and Roasted Tamari Portobello Bowl, because it was exactly to my tastes without even a small tweak (although I did skip the carrots as Trevor is allergic). The base of the bowl is a hearty scoop of brown rice, which is then topped with a raw kale slaw dressed in a sweet and savory tahini and citrus sauce. The crowning elements are sesame and soy roasted portobello mushrooms, and perfectly ripe avocado. The beauty of this recipe, besides that it’s filling, healthy, and super simple to prepare, is that each element has a distinct flavor – they don’t run together and end up tasting like a stirfry.
Tahini Kale Slaw and Roasted Tamari Portobello Bowl
For the Tahini Citrus Miso Dressing:
- 1/2 c. tahini
- 2 TBS white or yellow miso
- 2 TBS honey
- 1 TBS toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp Sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 TBS rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 c. orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon juice, to taste
- In a mixing bowl or mason jar, whisk together the tahini, miso, honey, sesame oil, Sriracha, vinegar, and orange juice until smooth and evenly combined. Thin with water or lemon juice, 1 TBS at a time, if needed. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. The dressing will keep, covered, in the fridge for two weeks.
For the Tahini Kale Slaw and Roasted Tamari Portobello Bowl:
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 TBS toasted sesame oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 TBS tamari or soy sauce
- 1 bunch lacinato (tuscan) kale, central stems removed
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 c. sunflower sprouts or microgreens
- 1 c. cooked brown rice
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1/3 c. roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a small roasting pan with tinfoil and place the portobello mushrooms in it. Rub both sides with the sesame oil and with sea salt and black pepper. Place them gill side up on the roasting pan and drizzle with the soy sauce. Roast until soft and collapsing, about 15-18 minutes. Remove from the pan and thinly slice.
- While the mushrooms are roasting, prepare the kale slaw. Finely chop the kale into slivers, then toss with the carrot and scallions. Dress with the tahini citrus dressing to taste, rubbing the dressing into the kale to help tenderize it. Add the sprouts to the salad just before serving.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the brown rice between two bowls. Top with a generous portion of the kale slow, 1 of the sliced portobellos, and half the cubed avocado. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.