I managed to talk myself into a healthier option – mango, satsuma, and black rice salad. When I realized that I had bookmarked this salad from multiple sources, I knew it was about time that I tried it. Strangely, this salad seems both like summer food and winter food – summer food because it’s light and fruity and healthy, and winter food because it’s bright and citrusy and nutty. I doctored the original up a little bit, adding sour cherries and increasing the amount of orange. Feel free to play with the ratios to get it the way you like – an extra handful of peanuts, all scallions instead of the red onion, etc. It’s an easy and forgiving recipe!
Mango, Satsuma and Black Rice Salad
Serves 4-5 as a side.
- 1 1/2 c. black rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 c. water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 satsuma tangerines or 1 c. canned mandarin oranges, drained, plus 1/4 c. of the drained juice
- 3 TBS fresh squeezed lime juice (from 1 large lime)
- 2 TBS canola oil
- 1 mango, peeled, sliced, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 c. red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c. roasted salted peanuts
- 4 scallions, white and dark green parts removed, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 c. dried cherries
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes longer.
- If using fresh tangerines, peel tangerines, remove as much of the white pith as possible, and separate into segments. Using a small knife, carefully slice along the skinny length of each tangerine segment, then use your fingers to remove the skin/membrane of the tangerine. Save the membranes with the little pieces of fruit attached (some staying attached is inevitable). Squeeze the membranes over a bowl and collect the juice – you should have about 1/4 – 1/3 of a cup. If you have less, squeeze one or two of your tangerine segments into the bowl to make up the difference. If you’re using canned mandarin oranges, you can skip this step, just be sure to save 1/4 c. of the juice.
- Whisk together the tangerine juice, lime juice, and oil. Pour over the black rice and let cool.
- Stir the tangerine segments, mango, cilantro, red onions, peanuts, scallions, jalapenos, and dried cherries into the salad. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt or lime juice if desired. Serve chilled or at room temperature.