I found endives. For a price that was significantly less than the ridiculous $4 a piece they cost in the Durham Wholefoods. And since I’ve been meaning to share this endive recipe pretty much since the creation of this blog, I decided to buy them.
Serves 6-8 as an appetizer.
- 2 belgian endives
- 4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 3/4 c. candied pecan pieces, see recipe below
Slice off the bases of the endives. Remove small and damaged outer leaves. Carefully separate leaves from the base so that they remain intact. Fill the white part of the endive with crumbled cheese and pecan pieces. Arrange on platter and drizzle with a small amount of honey.
- 2 c. pecan halves and pieces
- 1 egg white
- 1 TBS water
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 TBS butter
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Use butter to grease a baking pan.
- Beat egg white with water and vanilla until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix pecans with egg white mixture until they are all moistened. Then transfer to the sugar mixture and stir until pecans are fully coated. Spread pecans on greased pan in a single layer and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.