- ½ cup/114 grams (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing pan
- ½ cup/100 grams granulated sugar, more for sprinkling
- ¼ cup/55 grams light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon/5 grams finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups/156 grams all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ½ cups summer berries (a mix of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or use any one kind)
- Cinnamon, for dusting (optional)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
324 calories; 13 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 46 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 27 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 100 milligrams cholesterol; 188 milligrams sodium
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then add lemon zest and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg and baking powder, and whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold berries into the batter, then spread batter in pan and sprinkle lightly with more granulated sugar. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until top is golden and cake is cooked through.
- Allow cake to cool, then sprinkle with cinnamon, if using, and confectioners’ sugar.