For the chicken:
- 2large lemons
- 2tablespoons ground sumac
- 4teaspoons kosher salt
- 1tablespoon black pepper
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1teaspoon allspice
- 4tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 2chickens, 4 to 4 1/2 pounds each
- 1bunch thyme, more for garnish
For the plums:
- 2 ¼pounds plums, halved or quartered if large
- 4shallots, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2tablespoons honey
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½teaspoon salt
- ½teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼teaspoon allspice
- 1bay leaf, torn in half
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
1223 calories; 81 grams fat; 22 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 36 grams monounsaturated fat; 16 grams polyunsaturated fat; 28 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 19 grams sugars; 91 grams protein; 361 milligrams cholesterol; 1650 milligrams sodium
8 to 10 servings
- Grate the zest from the lemons and place in a small bowl. Set aside the zested lemons.
- Stir sumac, salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice into the lemon zest. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the garlic. The mixture should feel like wet sand. Rub it all over the chickens, including inside the cavity.
- Divide thyme bunch in half and place in the chicken cavities. Place chickens on a roasting rack set over a rimmed baking sheet, and let marinate, uncovered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to roast, let chickens come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan, toss together plums, shallots, honey, oil, salt, cinnamon, allspice, bay leaf and 2 tablespoons water. Spread out plum mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Place chickens on the rack over the plums in the pan. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze 1 tablespoon juice from reserved lemon and mix it with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Drizzle this over the chicken, then continue to roast until the birds are golden-skinned and cooked through, about 30 to 45 minutes longer.
- Let chickens rest, covered lightly with foil, for 10 minutes. Carve and serve with the plums and more thyme for garnish.
1 1/2 hours, plus marinating