- 16 large, meaty chicken wings, about
- 3 ½ pounds cucumber, trimmed and scraped
- Salt to taste, if desired
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons dry vermouth
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh peeled and seeded tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or half the amount dried
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh chervil or parsley
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
803 calories; 59 grams fat; 26 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 22 grams monounsaturated fat; 8 grams polyunsaturated fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 9 grams sugars; 48 grams protein; 366 milligrams cholesterol; 898 milligrams sodium
Four appetizer servings
- Cut the chicken wings into three parts, main wing bone, second joint and wing tip. Use only the main wing bone. Use the other pieces for soup or another purpose if desired.
- Cut off the knobby ends of each main wing bone. Drop the main wing bones into a saucepan of boiling unsalted water and let cook three minutes. Drain. When the bones are cool enough to handle, carefully pull or push out the bones from the meat. Discard the bones.
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise into quarters. Scrape away the seeds. Cut each quarter crosswise into four pieces of uniform length. Drop the pieces into a saucepan of simmering water seasoned with salt. Simmer three minutes and drain.
- Heat two tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan and add the boned chicken pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook about five minutes on one side. Turn the pieces and cook for five minutes on the second side.
- Remove the chicken pieces and add the shallots and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, about three minutes and sprinkle with the vermouth and wine. Cook until most of the liquid evaporates. Add the cream, tomatoes, tarragon and half of the chervil or parsley. Cook until the sauce is reduced by half.
- Reduce the heat and add the wings to the sauce. Bring to the boil, coating the wing pieces with the sauce.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a small skillet and add the cucumber pieces. Cook until the pieces are golden on both sides. Sprinkle with sugar and continue cooking, stirring, until the pieces are brown.
- Serve four chicken pieces in the sauce in the center of an appetizer plate. Surround each serving with four cucumber pieces. Serve sprinkled with the remaining chervil.