- 3 Idaho potatoes, about 1 pound total weight
- 6 carrots, trimmed, about 3/4 pound total weight
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
176 calories; 3 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 31 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 9 milligrams cholesterol; 153 milligrams sodium
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into half-inch slices. Cut each slice into half-inch strips. Cut each strip into half-inch cubes. There should be about two and one-half cups.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into cubes about the same size as the potatoes. There should be about two cups.
- Heat the butter in a heavy saucepan and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until wilted.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Cover closely and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.