- 24 cherrystone clams
- 1 large ear of corn on the cob, about 6 ounces
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt to taste if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ½ cup corn, peanut or vegetable oil
- Sweet red pepper sauce (see recipe)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (18 servings)
80 calories; 1 gram fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 0 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 36 milligrams cholesterol; 170 milligrams sodium
about 18 fritters
- Open the clams, and save both the juice and the clams. There should be about 2 cups of liquid and about 1 1/4 cups of clams. Put the clams on a flat surface and chop them until they are coarse-fine.
- Shuck the corn, and cut the kernels from the cob. There should be about 1 cup.
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl, and add the chopped clams, 3/4 cup of the reserved clam liquid (the rest may be discarded or put to another use), corn, egg yolks, tarragon, baking powder, salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- Blend well.
- Beat the whites until stiff, pour them over the batter, and fold them in.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet, and when it is quite hot, add about 1/4 cup of the batter at a time, keeping each fritter separated. Continue adding batter in this manner until the skillet is filled without crowding.
- Cook about 1 minute or slightly longer on one side or until the edges of the fritters start to brown. Turn and cook 1 minute or slightly longer on the other side. As the fritters are cooked, transfer them to sheets of absorbent paper towels. Continue making fritters until all the batter is used.
- Use about 2 additional tablespoons of oil for each batch of fritters. Serve the fritters with sweet red pepper sauce spooned over.