- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1 small egg
- 2 or 3 drops of vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted cake flour, approximately
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (1 serving)
2380 calories; 128 grams fat; 79 grams saturated fat; 4 grams trans fat; 33 grams monounsaturated fat; 6 grams polyunsaturated fat; 278 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 67 grams sugars; 28 grams protein; 466 milligrams cholesterol; 367 milligrams sodium
Makes one 10-inch single-crust pie shell with scraps left over for cookies.
- Combine sugar and butter in a mixing bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Using the flat paddle of medium speed, or a wooden spoon if you are doing this by hand, blend butter and sugar until no granules of sugar show. It is not necessary for the mixture to be fluffy and it should remain light in color. Add and stir in lightly the salt, egg and vanilla.
- Add flour in thirds, stirring in with paddle or spoon. Add just enough to make a dough that forms a mass and that is very soft but not sticky. The color should be pale yellow. If overmixed, the dough will look dark and greasy.
- Gather dough in a ball, wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour and preferably three or four hours. Follow instructions for rolling and baking dough with each recipe.