- 8 jumbo soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 ounces white Port
- 3 ounces heavy cream
- 1 2-inch slice fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 ounces unsweetened butter, broken into pieces
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- ¾ cup peanut oil for deep-frying
- 4 tablespoons large capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1 large scallion, finely sliced
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
986 calories; 81 grams fat; 27 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 32 grams monounsaturated fat; 15 grams polyunsaturated fat; 6 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 52 grams protein; 310 milligrams cholesterol; 2206 milligrams sodium
- Clean crabs if necessary: remove the eyes, then turn the crab on its back and remove apron. Turn over again, lift up flaps at each end, and pull out spongy gill tissue. Pat dry and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Place minced shallots in saucepan with lemon juice and white Port, and reduce over medium heat until about 2 tablespoons of sauce remain (5 to 7 minutes). Add heavy cream and grated ginger. Bring to a boil, and reduce by a third, to about 3 tablespoons.
- Reduce heat to very low, and whisk in butter, one piece at a time, whisking constantly. Season with salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper; strain sauce through a fine-mesh strainer. Taste for seasonings, adding a few drops of lemon juice if neccessary. Set sauce aside and keep warm.
- In a heavy-bottom saucepan, heat peanut oil to 325 degrees. Carefully drop in drained capers and deep-fry until buds open fully and are crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on absorbent paper. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat broiler or outdoor grill until medium-hot. Brush crabs with olive oil, and season with salt and freshly ground white pepper. Grill approximately 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until nicely crisp and deep reddish brown.
- Arrange crabs on a serving plate, drizzle sauce over them, and sprinkle with sliced scallions and deep-fried capers. Serve with summer vegetables and a dry white wine.
About 40 minutes