- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ pound blue cheese, crumbled
- ½ pound fresh spinach
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ pound fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
299 calories; 18 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 16 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 17 grams protein; 99 milligrams cholesterol; 509 milligrams sodium
Eight or more servings
- Heat the butter in a kettle or saucepan and add the onions. Cook, stirring, about three minutes.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the flour and stir. Add the chicken broth and bring to the boil. Add the milk and cook about five minutes.
- Add the cheese and cook, stirring, until melted.
- Meanwhile, pick over the spinach and remove and discard any tough stems and blemished leaves. Rinse and drain the spinach well. Coarsely chop the spinach and add it to the soup. Cook, stirring, about five minutes. Add the cream, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, cut the shrimp into small pieces. There should be about one cup. Add the shrimp to the soup and bring to the boil again. Serve.