This is an easy dish that you can put on the table when you have friends coming around after a long day’s work. The soft-fleshed cod (or any other meaty white fish) is offset by the crunchy almonds. Serve alongside a pile of fresh green beans, cooked until just tender, but still bright.
- ½cup sliced almonds
- 3tablespoons butter
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 46-ounce cod fillets (or any other meaty white fish), with skin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Place a large dry nonstick skillet over medium heat, and add almonds. Stir constantly until they are tinged with color. Take from heat, and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Season both sides of the fish well with salt and pepper. Place the same pan over medium heat, and add butter and olive oil. When both begin to bubble, add cod fillets skin side up. Brown fish until opaque all the way through, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes a side. Transfer fish to a warm serving plate, skin side down.
- Reduce heat under pan to low, and add lemon juice. Stir to blend with butter and oil, then pour this sauce over fillets. Scatter parsley over cod, and scatter with toasted almonds. Serve immediately.