Here is a fresh and simple way to prepare salmon that is ready in about 20 minutes. Most of that time will be spent preparing the vegetables. You do have to blanch, core and chop the tomatoes, but that is quick work (and we won’t tell if you use the canned, diced sort. Just drain first.). Once that’s done, sauté the fish and set aside. Throw tomatoes, leeks, lemon juice and freshly ground pepper into the pan and sauté for a quick minute. Spoon over the fish and serve.
- 4skinless, boneless salmon fillets, about 1 1/2 pounds
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1leek, well trimmed
- 2 or 3red ripe tomatoes, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh coriander or basil
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
489 calories; 33 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 7 grams polyunsaturated fat; 10 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 36 grams protein; 93 milligrams cholesterol; 695 milligrams sodium
- The fish should be at room temperature. If there are any bones in the salmon, pull them out with tweezers and discard. Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper.
- Trim off the stem ends of the leek. Cut the leek lengthwise into thin slices. Finely chop the leek. There should be about 1/3 cup.
- Drop the tomatoes into boiling water and let stand 9 to 12 seconds.
- Peel and remove the cores. Cut the flesh of the tomatoes into quarter-inch cubes. There should be about 1 1/4 cups.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a nonstick skillet over moderately high heat and add the salmon pieces skinned side up. Cook 2 minutes and then turn the pieces. If you want the salmon medium rare, cook the fish 2 minutes longer. Transfer the fish to a warm platter.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet. Add the tomatoes and leek, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Cook about 1 minute. Pour the mixture over the salmon and sprinkle with the coriander or basil.