- 2 12-pound turkeys
- Salt to taste
- 2 bottles dry white wine
- 8 large cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- Turkey stuffing (see recipe)
- Bread crusts to cover cavity opening
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (20 servings)
939 calories; 39 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 9 grams polyunsaturated fat; 4 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 120 grams protein; 406 milligrams cholesterol; 1352 milligrams sodium
- Soak turkeys in salted water under refrigeration for 24 hours.
- Combine wine, garlic, paprika, bay leaves, salt, hot pepper sauce and oregano. Marinate turkeys in this mixture for 24 hours under refrigeration. Turn occasionally.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove turkeys from marinade, reserving marinade. Pack turkeys loosely with stuffing and cover openings of cavities with bread crusts; sew cavities closed. Bake remaining stuffing separately during the last half-hour turkeys are roasting.
- Wrap turkey wings in foil. Put turkeys into roasting pans and top with pieces of bacon, putting some beneath turkeys as well. Pour reserved marinade over turkeys.
- Roast turkeys for 30 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees and roast turkeys about 2 1/2 hours more. If turkeys get too brown before they are cooked, put aluminum foil over the top. If turkeys are roasted in a single oven, they may need 30 minutes or more of extra roasting time.
3 hours 20 minutes