Mozzarella en Carrozza (Fried Mozzarella Sandwiches)
- 3 eggs
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs (preferably panko)
- 8 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound low-moisture mozzarella (not fresh mozzarella), chilled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Olive oil, for frying
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
961 calories; 66 grams fat; 21 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 34 grams monounsaturated fat; 6 grams polyunsaturated fat; 51 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 39 grams protein; 209 milligrams cholesterol; 1250 milligrams sodium
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs, then beat in the garlic, season with salt and pepper and beat again to combine. In another shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Top 4 slices of white bread with a single mozzarella slice apiece, and trim the cheese as needed to avoid overhang. Top with the remaining 4 slices of white bread and press down gently.
- Dip both sides and all the edges of a sandwich in the egg to coat fully, followed by the bread crumbs. Place on a large plate and transfer to the refrigerator to firm up while you continue to work, then repeat with the other sandwiches.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4-inch olive oil over medium heat. See if the oil is ready by dropping a few bread crumbs in; they should bubble gently. Working in batches as needed, fry each sandwich, turning once with a slotted spatula or a fork, until the outsides and edges are golden brown and the cheese has melted, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt, halve diagonally, and serve.