Indian-Spiced Eggs With Spinach and Turmeric Yogurt
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Kosher salt
- 4 (6- to 8-inch) round pitas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fresh chile pepper, such as cayenne or serrano, thinly sliced (or 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes)
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
430 calories; 20 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 44 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 195 milligrams cholesterol; 735 milligrams sodium
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the yogurt and turmeric in a small bowl, season with salt and set aside. Toast the pitas on a sheet pan in the oven until they’re warmed through and beginning to crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic and chile pepper and cook until softened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the garam masala and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Begin adding in the spinach by the handful, tossing it frequently to encourage wilting. Gradually add more as it cooks down, about 6 to 8 minutes total. Season with salt.
- While the spinach cooks, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack the eggs into the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the undersides are crispy and the yolk is still runny, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread the turmeric yogurt on the toasted pitas and top each with spinach and then a fried egg. Scatter cilantro over the top, if using, and serve.