Root Vegetable Tagine With Herbed Couscous
For the root-vegetable tagine:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 small carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with their juices, tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, peel removed in strips with a vegetable peeler and reserved, remaining lemon cut into wedges
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup golden or brown raisins
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Black pepper
- Fresh pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- Roughly chopped parsley or cilantro leaves, for garnish
For the herbed couscous:
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 2 ¼ cups whole-wheat couscous (14 ounces)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 packed cup chopped parsley leaves
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
823 calories; 11 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 162 grams carbohydrates; 25 grams dietary fiber; 30 grams sugars; 26 grams protein; 2485 milligrams sodium
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook until beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cinnamon, ginger, coriander and turmeric, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices are toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, squash, carrots, tomatoes and their juices, and lemon peel. Stir to release any spice bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until the vegetables are almost tender and break easily with a spoon, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, raisins and honey and simmer, covered, until the chickpeas are warmed through and the raisins are plump, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, prepare the couscous: Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Combine the couscous, lemon zest and salt in a large bowl; pour the boiling stock on top. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap to steam, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and stir in the parsley.
- Divide the herbed couscous among the bowls and spoon the warm tagine on top. Sprinkle generously with pomegranate seeds and parsley or cilantro, and serve with lemon wedges on the side, for squeezing over.