Classic Hot Chocolate
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 ½ ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate or 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Tiny pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or marshmallows, for serving
Email Grocery List
- Fill a small pot with 1/3 cup water and bring to a boil. Whisk in cocoa; it may clump, which is O.K.
- Reduce heat to medium and whisk in milk, whisking around the sides of the pan to help dissolve all the cocoa.
- When milk simmers, whisk in the chocolate, 1 tablespoon sugar and a tiny pinch of salt, and reduce heat to low. Whisk until chocolate is melted and very smooth. Taste and add more sugar if you like. Turn off heat and whisk in vanilla.
- Serve topped with whipped cream or marshmallows.