Cheese Grits with Saucy Black Beans, Avocado and Radish
- 2 ¾ cups vegetable broth or water (or any combination of both), more as needed
- 2 cups whole milk or cashew milk
- 1 cup grits or polenta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- ½ cup grated Manchego, Cheddar, Parmesan or vegan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- 2 firm ripe avocados, peeled and chopped
- 3 small or 1 large radish, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Hot sauce and lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
567 calories; 20 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 11 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 79 grams carbohydrates; 22 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 12 milligrams cholesterol; 833 milligrams sodium
- In a pot, combine 2 cups of the broth or water along with the milk, grits and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until completely tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining 3/4 cup broth or water with the black beans and cayenne and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until warm and saucy. Season to taste with salt and add broth or water by the tablespoon, if desired, for saucier beans.
- When the grits are tender, remove from the heat, and vigorously stir in the 1/2 cup cheese and the butter, if using, until the grits are creamy and almost fluffy.
- Spoon into four bowls, and top with the bean mixture, avocado, radish and scallion. Finely grate more cheese over the top, if desired, and serve warm, with hot sauce and lime wedges if desired.