Creamy Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
- ⅓ cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips (about 2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons vegan unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons creamy nut or seed butter, such as almond, sunflower or peanut
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 ½ to 2 cups unsweetened nut or grain milk, such as macadamia, walnut, almond, cashew, hazelnut, oat or rice
- 1 to 3 teaspoons granulated sugar (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
238 calories; 21 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 15 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 15 milligrams sodium
Email Grocery List
- Combine chocolate chips, cocoa powder, nut butter, salt, and 1/2 cup nut milk in a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Whisk in 1 cup nut milk in a slow, steady stream, and continue whisking until cocoa is steaming, about 1 1/2 minutes. Don’t let it come to a boil or the cocoa will separate.
- Taste a spoonful. (Be careful: It’s hot.) If you prefer a thinner hot cocoa, add up to 1/2 cup additional milk. If you prefer it sweeter, add a teaspoon of sugar at a time, tasting after each addition. Divide among cups and serve hot.