Seared Scallop Pasta With Burst Tomatoes and Herbs
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound linguine fini or other long thin pasta
- 1 pound large sea scallops, patted dry
- Black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 ¼ pounds Sun Gold, cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 ½ cups roughly chopped mixed herbs such as tarragon, mint, parsley and chives, plus more for serving
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
452 calories; 10 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 67 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 20 grams protein; 18 milligrams cholesterol; 678 milligrams sodium
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water (2 heaping tablespoons kosher salt to about 7 quarts water) to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 1/2 cups pasta cooking water then drain pasta.
- Season the scallops well on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a 12-inch skillet over high until very hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When it shimmers, add the scallops (working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, if necessary) and cook until golden brown and crisp, flipping once, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium. Add the shallots and cook until they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to burst, 5 to 7 minutes. Add about 1/3 cup reserved pasta water and press the tomatoes gently with the back of a spatula or wooden spoon to get them nice and jammy. Stir in the garlic and red-pepper flakes, if using, and cook, allowing the sauce to simmer, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta, 1 1/2 cups herbs and 1/4 cup reserved pasta water and toss to coat, adding additional pasta water if needed. Divide the pasta among shallow bowls and top with scallops. Garnish with additional herbs and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.