Salted Caramel Cookies
For the cookies:
- ¾ cup/170 grams unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 cup/220 grams light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups/255 grams all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
For the caramel:
- 8 ounces/225 grams store-bought soft caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Flaky sea salt
- Nutritional Information
Note: The information shown is DiningAndCooking.com’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.Powered by DiningAndCooking.com
Nutritional analysis per serving (20 servings)
201 calories; 8 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 2 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 29 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 18 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 30 milligrams cholesterol; 111 milligrams sodium
- Position oven racks near the center and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour, baking soda and fine sea salt and mix until fully incorporated. Scrape the dough out of the bowl and divide it in half. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap, patting into a 1-inch-thick disk. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Scoop the dough into 1 1/2-tablespoon-size portions (you should have about 20). Using your hands, roll the dough into balls and place on the baking sheets, staggering dough and leaving about 2 1/2 inches between pieces.
- Wipe the bottom of a glass with a damp towel and use it to press the cookies flat (they should be about 1/3-inch thick).
- Bake the cookies, rotating the sheets halfway through baking, until the edges are golden brown, 9 to 11 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Place the unwrapped caramels and cream in a microwave-safe bowl or liquid measuring cup. Microwave the mixture for 30 to 45 seconds and stir well. Continue to microwave in 15-second increments until the caramels are fully melted and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. (You could also do this on the stovetop in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.)
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, spoon a generous teaspoon of caramel into the center of each cookie. Spread the caramel evenly over the surface, leaving a 1/4-inch uncoated edge. Sprinkle flaky sea salt on top.
- If the caramel becomes too thick as you work, reheat in the microwave in 15-second increments, stirring in between, or over medium-low heat on the stovetop, until fluid.
- Let the cookies cool at room temperature until the caramel sets, about 15 minutes, before serving.