- 6 to 8 scallions
- 4 quarts water
- 1 pound soba (Japanese buckwheat noodles)
- 4 cups dashi made by dissolving 1 teaspoon instant dashi in 4 cups simmering water, or use 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (rice wine)
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breast, cut in 3/4-inch squares
- Ground sansho pepper or a mixture of cayenne and black pepper to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
648 calories; 13 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 91 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 46 grams protein; 74 milligrams cholesterol; 2219 milligrams sodium
- Trim roots and outside leaves from scallions, halve or quarter them lengthwise, then cut them in 2-inch lengths. Set aside.
- Bring the water to a boil and add noodles and boil until they are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and rinse them well under cold running water to remove surface starch.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the dashi or stock to a simmer. Add soy sauces, sugar, rice wine and salt. Simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken pieces and simmer about 10 minutes, skimming off any foam. Add scallions and cook 1 minute longer.
- Reheat noodles by placing them in a sieve and immersing them in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and divide the noodles among four deep bowls. Reheat broth and ladle it with the chicken and scallions over the noodles. Serve at once with pepper on the side.