- 10 ounces (about 10 cups) washed spinach (or a mixture of spinach, Swiss chard, kale and salad greens)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 scallions, cleaned and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 5 chicken livers (about 5 ounces)
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
407 calories; 31 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 15 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 5 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 25 grams protein; 162 milligrams cholesterol; 517 milligrams sodium
- Stack the spinach leaves one on top of another and cut into 1-inch slices. Heat the olive oil in a skillet and, when hot, add the onions and scallions and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until the vegetables are softened but not brown. Add the garlic, stir well, then add the spinach. Saute, stirring, for about 2 minutes, until the spinach wilts but is still bright green. Set aside to cool.
- Place the chicken livers in the bowl of a food processor and process for about 10 seconds, until pureed. Add the ground beef and pork, and process 5 to 10 seconds, just until mixed. Set aside.
- When the spinach mixture is cool, mix well with the meat and add the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a roasting pan with the vegetable oil. Wet your hands under cold water and form large spoonfuls of the meat-vegetable mixture into 12 equal-size patties. Arrange the patties close together in the roasting pan and place in the oven for 25 minutes. Serve two cayettes per person.