- 2 pounds potatoes
- 4 large cloves garlic, approximately
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
179 calories; 5 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 29 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 14 milligrams cholesterol; 512 milligrams sodium
- Peel the potatoes, wash under cold water and cut into large chunks (2-to-2 1/2-inch pieces). Place in a pot with water to cover and add the garlic and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and boil gently until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Pour directly into a food mill (placing a pot underneath to catch the cooking liquid, which can be retained for use in stocks, soups or bread). Push the potatoes through the food mill into a bowl. Add the butter and mix in thoroughly, then add the milk, mixing again until incorporated. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper and stir in. Serve with the Salisbury steak with vegetable sauce, spooning some of the sauce over the potatoes.