- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- Grated rind of 2 large oranges
- Grated rind of 2 large lemons
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg yolk blended with 1 tablespoon milk
- About 45 whole cloves
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (10 servings)
482 calories; 21 grams fat; 12 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 65 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 24 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 129 milligrams cholesterol; 224 milligrams sodium
1 10-inch cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Thickly butter a 10-inch round springform pan.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar and beat until the mixture is light. Beat in the eggs, one a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the orange and lemon rinds.
- In a separate bowl, sift together three cups of the flour, the baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually beat in the dry mixture alternately with the milk. The batter will be very thick. Using a wooden spoon, gradually blend in the remaining flour, beating well until completely smooth. (Press a token or coin into the dough now if you like.)
- Spread the batter into the pan, smoothing the top. Brush the top evenly with the egg and milk mixture. Press the whole cloves into the top to spell out the date of the new year.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing from ring form and slicing.
1 hour 10 minutes