- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey
- ¾ pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon corn or canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup raw rice
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- ½ cup toasted almonds
- ½ to 1 whole jalapeno or Serrano chili, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 to 10 canned plum tomatoes
- ¼ cup or more juice from tomato can
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
653 calories; 25 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 6 grams polyunsaturated fat; 57 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 23 grams sugars; 54 grams protein; 150 milligrams cholesterol; 489 milligrams sodium
- Brown turkey and beef in heavy-bottomed hot skillet. Set aside and drain off all fat.
- Heat oil in skillet and add onions. Saute until onions soften and begin to turn golden.
- Place water and rice in small pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is done and water has been absorbed, a total of 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, return beef and turkey to pan with onions, along with raisins, tomato paste, almonds, chili, cinnamon, cloves, tomatoes and tomato juice and simmer while rice cooks. Mixture should be thick, but not dry.
- When rice is cooked, stir into meat mixture.
- Serve wrapped in large tortillas (see recipe below) or with tortillas on the side.