- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ½ pounds chicken pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large bell peppers, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces lean slab bacon, rind removed and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 leafy sprig of parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen sweet green peas
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1288 calories; 82 grams fat; 22 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 37 grams monounsaturated fat; 16 grams polyunsaturated fat; 42 grams carbohydrates; 14 grams dietary fiber; 18 grams sugars; 91 grams protein; 316 milligrams cholesterol; 893 milligrams sodium
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, brown the chicken on both sides, seasoning generously with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve. Reduce the heat to medium and add the peppers, onion, bacon, parsley and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic and onion become translucent, about five minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan, cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is nearly cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the peas, stir gently, cover and cook just until they are heated through, three to five minutes. (If using frozen peas, increase the cooking time slightly.) Season to tase.
- To serve, transfer the chicken and vegetables to a warmed serving platter and pour the cooking juices over all.